top of page

Creepy Cute (Part 1)

I've started on the cabinet, but was held up in progress quickly by not having the proper grit sandpaper to polish between coats of paint, so I'm putting a pin in that little project. I finally(!!!) got a most exciting package this week & decided to set my sights on working with it instead.


My Sophie & Toffee September Elves box arrived & has the delightful theme of "Creepy Cute". There are several videos from S&T itself showing how to make all the Elves goodies, as well as a number of delightful YouTube vids on making the included projects.


Since this is just meant to be a quick little diversion while I want for my sandpaper, I'm making one of the smaller projects. I decided to use the the resin charm that's used to make a barrette to make a bar pendant instead (I don't know who has enough hair to keep that heavy thing secure & snug in their hair but it's definitely not me!). I didn't feel like working with the 2 part resin for this project, so I pulled out my Sophie & Toffee UV resin set that I reviewed a few months ago, & started mixing all the colors with the white UV resin, to give me the creamy opaque pastel colors that I was looking for.



I started by using a tapestry needle to fill in the tiny faces of the pumpkin & ghost, followed by adding in colors to the deepest parts of the mold first. After curing each layer, I added a new layer of color.

Thought I thought I was working slowly & carefully, I didn't realize (though it is clear in the photo) that parts of the resin started to demold - if you look at the ghost in particular, the lighter color along the bottom indicates that the resin has pulled away from the mold. This was an issue later on, when I added other layers, as the uncured resin ran down into the deeper parts of the mold & covered up parts of the finished object with ugly splotches.



See? This is not what I was hoping to end up with. It started out absolutely adorable but that last layer of clear resin on top of all my colored layers flowed down & created a lot of gunky chaos on top of my design. I tried prying at it a bit, but as I suspected, trying to get it off & salvage the piece is probably way more work than it's worth. I suspect that moving the mold around may not have helped, so I vowed to be more careful about that with my next attempt & also to keep a careful eye on the edges.



Also surprising to me was the degree to which the resin deformed/curled up on the sides - I'm aware UV resin has some shrinkage; maybe my previous projects have been too small to really see it. On this one it was significant & definitely something I'm going to take into account in the future. It really disrupted the shape quite a bit, so I'll probably have to invest more in 2 part resins with their slow cure times to avoid this.


Try # 2 came out much better! I kept an eye on the resin in the mold & was much more careful when moving the mold back & forth under the UV light. I also deliberately built the resin up on the sides of the mold. When the resin started the deform, the higher sides created a nice sort of cup for the rest of the resin I needed to add, so that it (mostly) couldn't flow down the sides & onto the front to ruin the piece.




While there are definitely more bubbles than I'd like, this one came out overall pretty good, especially for my second try at a mold casting that isn't a tiny piece of dishware!


As the inside is indented to add some little doodads, I next turned my attention to the smaller set of molds to make some little bits & bobs to add into the center. While I don't yet have shaker oil, I can at least make this into a shaker as intended & add the oil later, when I get some.


So little charms next! Again, I used a large tapestry needle to paint in the tiniest details of the faces & hearts on the charms. Getting this as perfect as can be takes awhile & I was aided in this tedious work be several episodes of The Originals. If nothing else, it's a good show to be watching when painting tiny bats & ghosts!




The bottom right image shows the mold flipped over; you can see the little detailed parts of the resin charms through the silicone.


I went through about 4 runs of using the mold to get little charms for this project. I think I probably have more than I need, but I like having a selection of them to work from, & not just trying to make every last one work. I think I may make a few more charms tonight as I have some excess resin still to use up & I can always save the extras of these charms for future projects.





Now that I have a nice little collection of charms I'm going to need to decide which ones will go inside the bar. But I'm getting a little sleepy, so I think that'll be a step for another day!

Comments


bottom of page